Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Kids Portraits

Well, I sold off my Olympus E-P3 in March after pre-ordering the Olympus OM-D E-M5 in late February. Good thing I still had my Olympus E-620 or I would be going through some serious withdrawals! I have yet to receive my Olympus OM-D E-M5, and the wait is especially excruciating when some people I know already received theirs.

In the meantime, I took out my Minolta 50mm f1.4 and paired it with my Oly E-620 and thought I'd attempt some serious portrait photography by getting my kids to model for me . I am not much of a portrait photographer but after seeing a friend's (who is a pro) portrait work, I felt inspired!



I am quite pleased at how well the above picture turns out!  I had bought a scanner and it came bundled with Photoshop Elements 9.After doing some research I found some really good PSE Actions that made photo editing, especially portraits, that much more simplified!



I am still learning photo editing with PSE Actions and I am especially pleased with the output of the Black and White action set that I purchased.  I really love the different black and white tones that come with the set!



I wanted the face on this picture to contrast and pop more, but it seems I still have a lot to learn on how to edit using the action sets.  I have seen what they are capable of, if only I knew the right combination!mrgreen



I am quite pleased with the black and white tones of this picture.Doesn't look too bad, does it?



Personally, I find the Minolta 50mm f1.4 lens a superb lens for portraits when paired with a 4/3 format camera. To help me focus more accurately when using manual lenses, I bought a Dual Split Image Focus Screen from ebay. No, I have not replaced the focus screen on my Oly E-620 yet because I have to wait for dear hubby to make the time to do it for me. I am all thumbs when it comes to working with tiny things!

I think it is time for another round of portrait photography! And I already know where I'd like to do it!



No comments:

Post a Comment